Saturday, May 11, 2013

Music on the Run

(Note: all current and new posts from uptorun.blogspot.com can now be seen at runbuffet.com)

I normally don't listen to music when I run. My "music" is the sound of nature, the rhythm of my breathing, and the pounding of the pavement. Plus, I'm a strict believer in the fact that too much noise is bad, so I try to avoid it as much as possible. You only get one set of ears in your life.

I also believe, however, that controlled doses of music while running definitely improves performance.

Amongst other ideas I've come up with while running, I had the idea of creating a list of songs I know that have the word "run" / "ran"in it at some point. I'd like to share those songs along with some other upbeat (or just plain good) songs that motivate me to run. I've also included the top 5 list of songs that I like to use on runs.

I might periodically update this list as more music comes out and as my memory improves.

* = contains explicit lyrics
~ = contains very few explicit lyrics

Contain the word "run" / "ran" in it:
- Run (Snow Patrol)
- Pumped Up Kicks (Foster the People)
- Pyramids (Frank Ocean)
- Forrest Gump (Frank Ocean)
- 'Till I Collapse (Eminem ft. Nate Dogg) *
- Rabbit Run (Eminem) *
- Dog Days are Over (Florence and the Machines)
- Animals (Neon Trees)
- Paradise (Coldplay)
- Written in the Stars (Tinie Tempah) ~
- Run This Town (Jay-Z ft. Kanye West and Rihanna) *
- Fastest Girl in Town (Miranda Lambert)
- Who Did That to You (John Legend - Django Unchained Soundtrack)
- Lose Yourself (Eminem) ~
- Good Feeling (Flo Rida)
- Paper Planes (MIA)
- Remember the Name (Fort Minor) *
- Run (Kill It Kid)
- We Are Golden (MIKA)
- God's Gonna Cut You Down (Johnny Cash)
The fun part is finding where the "run" is.

Motivational / upbeat / "in the zone" songs:
- Making Me Nervous (Brad Sucks)
- Radioactive (Imagine Dragons)
- Lighters (Bad Meets Evil ft. Bruno Mars) *
- The Fighter (Gym Class Heroes ft. Ryan Tedder) ~
- Coming Home (Diddy Dirty Money ft. Skylar Grey) ~
- Rain is a Good Thing (Luke Bryan)
- Ridin' Solo (Jason Derulo) ~
- Carry On My Wayward Son (Kansas)
- Some Nights (FUN) ~
- Let the Drummer Kick (Citizen Cope)
- Yeah x3 (Chris Brown) ~
- Take a Back Road (Rodney Atkins)
- Carry On (FUN)
- Daylight (Matt and Kim)
I Got a Name (Jim Croce)
- All of the Lights (Kanye West ft. Rihanna and Kid Cudi) ~
- Homecoming (Kanye West ft. Chris Martin)
- Thrift Shop (Macklemore and Ryan Lewis) *
- I Like It (Enrique Iglesias ft. Pitbull)
- I Gotta Feeling (Black Eyed Peas) ~
- Gonna Fly Now (Bill Conti - Rocky Soundtrack)
- Who Needs a Road (Signpost Sound)

My Top 5 (in no particular order):
- 'Till I Collapse (Eminem ft. Nate Dogg) *
Good Feeling (Flo Rida)
Lighters (Bad Meets Evil ft. Bruno Mars) *
Some Nights (FUN) ~
Who Needs a Road (Signpost Sound)

No comments:

Post a Comment